NASA Centennial Challenges
NASA Centennial Challenges started in 2005, and have included:
- Lunar Vertical Lander Challenge, in conjunction with the X-Prize Foundation and Northrup Grumman -- a series of test vehicle flights on Earth with certain lunar-equivalent flight distance and time requirements, won by Masten Space Systems ($ 1 million) and Armadillo Aerospace ($ 350,000) in 2008 and 2009.
- Lunar Regolith Excavation Challenge -- robotic vehicles excavating simulated lunar materials on Earth, with $500,000 won by a team from Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
- Moon Regolith Oxygen (MoonROx) Challenge -- to extract oxygen from simulated lunar regolith, ran from 2005 to 2009 with no winners.
- Lunar Glove Challenge -- won by Peter K. Homer (total of $ 450,000) and Ted Southern ($ 100,000).
Currently ongoing challenges:
- Night Rover Challenge -- a solar powered robot which can use a battery which can stay alive on batteries for a long time in simulated harsh environments like the lunar night, with $ 1.5 million in prize money, still being organized
- Sample Return Robot Challenge -- to navigate rough terrain and retrieve geological samples, with registration ended already in 2011 and the competition to begin in the summer of 2012.
There are additional challenges being considered by NASA.
PERMANENT.com > Missions, Plans, Concepts > Research and Development Partners > NASA prize competitions
Reasons to do something yourself:
- It will help save life on our special planet -- be part of the solution in your generation.
- It will create and secure a better future for your children and grandchildren.
- It could be an interesting, cool, and a fun adventure for your life!
You can join us and volunteer to help out,
... or ...
If you're short on time, you can just donate:
The Permanent Space Development Foundation, Inc., is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
If you would like to make a quick donation to our humanistic cause,
then please click on one of the buttons below (which go to PayPal).
... or by cryptocurrency (which is NOT tax deductible), you can donate into any of these wallets:
... or ...
Suggest this website to other people and organizations.
To get updates on PERMANENT (occasional, not frequent), get on our mailing list.
For general or specific e-mail regarding PERMANENT, please use our Feedback page.
Leave information about yourself in our people, companies, and organizations database.
If you are interested in hiring our expertise, anywhere in the world, please contact us.
We have people in the USA and Thailand, and can travel or consult by internet.
You can call anytime, 24/7, at +66-8-1135-7977
Text by Mark Prado, Copyright © 1983-2019, All Rights Reserved.
Many website artistic design elements by Sam Fraser, Copyright © 1999-2019, All Rights Reserved.
Except where specifically stated otherwise,
Copyright © 1983-2019 by Mark Evan Prado, All Rights Reserved
P rojects to E mploy R esources of the M oon and
A steroids N ear E arth in the N ear T erm
please see our
For PCs, this righthand
side has a floating menu,
but if your tablet
or your PCs web browser
do not run
then you must
-- navigate --
using the Site Map above.