Moon Express, Lunar Robotic Mining
Moon Express was founded in 2010 by Silicon Valley investors for the purpose of competing in the Google Lunar X Prize and eventually mining the Moon. Moon Express has 3 co-founders:
- Naveen Jain, a self-made American internet billionaire from India, who has a history of involvement in philanthropic humanistic organizations including the X Prize Foundation and the Singularity Institute, and projects such as assisting developing countries and developing education.
- Robert Richards, a Canadian whose leading space advocacy goes back to the mid-1980s with Peter Diamandis, worked with a NASA contractor, and co-founded Singularity University.
- Barney Pell, a computer scientist who co-founded Powerset, a natural language based search engine company which was purchased by Microsoft for $100 million, as well as other leading internet based businesses, and previously worked at NASA
As of 2011, the company, also known as MoonEx, had 25 employees and looked like it was growing.
Moon Express has established relationships with NASA for developing a lunar lander, which it has test flown successfully.
MoonEx is developing robotic technologies for moving around the Moon's surface prospecting for geological resources to mine. Moon Express has a contract for data purchase with NASA which could be worth up to $10 million at this stage.
Artwork from Moon Express shows a 4 legged hopper which works together with a hovercraft.
Timeline: Moon Express has said that it plans to land on the moon in late 2013, which would be just the beginning of their presence and operations.
A main goal they have emphasized is the search for Rare Earth Elements (which are currently supplied almost entirely by China), though they have expressed an interest in lunar resources in general.
PERMANENT.com > Missions, Plans, Concepts > Leading Private Sector Projects > Moon Express
Reasons to do something yourself:
- It will help save life on our special planet -- be part of the solution in your generation.
- It will create and secure a better future for your children and grandchildren.
- It could be an interesting, cool, and a fun adventure for your life!
You can join us and volunteer to help out,
... or ...
If you're short on time, you can just donate:
The Permanent Space Development Foundation, Inc., is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
If you would like to make a quick donation to our humanistic cause,
then please click on one of the buttons below (which go to PayPal).
... or by cryptocurrency (which is NOT tax deductible), you can donate into any of these wallets:
... or ...
Suggest this website to other people and organizations.
To get updates on PERMANENT (occasional, not frequent), get on our mailing list.
For general or specific e-mail regarding PERMANENT, please use our Feedback page.
Leave information about yourself in our people, companies, and organizations database.
If you are interested in hiring our expertise, anywhere in the world, please contact us.
We have people in the USA and Thailand, and can travel or consult by internet.
You can call anytime, 24/7, at +66-8-1135-7977
Text by Mark Prado, Copyright © 1983-2019, All Rights Reserved.
Many website artistic design elements by Sam Fraser, Copyright © 1999-2019, All Rights Reserved.
Except where specifically stated otherwise,
Copyright © 1983-2019 by Mark Evan Prado, All Rights Reserved
P rojects to E mploy R esources of the M oon and
A steroids N ear E arth in the N ear T erm
please see our
For PCs, this righthand
side has a floating menu,
but if your tablet
or your PCs web browser
do not run
then you must
-- navigate --
using the Site Map above.