Bipartisan ASTEROIDS bill introduced

Private sector vs. government, asteroids vs. the Moon, legal history and issues, sociopolitical considerations, financial modelling, income streams, space advocacy organizations, <b>closely</b> related topics

Moderator: smccann

Sam Fraser

Bipartisan ASTEROIDS bill introduced

Post by Sam Fraser » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:56 pm

...U.S. Representatives Bill Posey (R-FL) and Derek Kilmer (D-WA) have introduced introduced the American Space Technology for Exploring Resource Opportunities In Deep Space (ASTEROIDS) Act of 2014, which “establishes and protects property rights for commercial space exploration and utilization of asteroid resources.”

Currently, rare minerals used to manufacture a wide range of products are found in a small number of countries. This has left the United States dependent on foreign nations for these resources. The limited supply and high demand for these materials, alongside major advances in space technology and a deeper understanding of asteroids, has led a number of private sector investors to begin developing plans to identify and secure high-value minerals found on asteroids and transport them for use here on Earth.

Posey and Kilmer’s bill would:

- Clarify that resources mined from an asteroid are the property of the entity that obtained them.
- Ensure U.S. companies can conduct their operation without harmful interference
- Direct the President to facilitate commercial development of asteroid resources.

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2014/07/11/ ... ty-rights/

Read the bill here (PDF).

My vote for best space-related acronym still goes to PERMANENT!
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand..... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out, to the black, tell em I ain't coming back..... Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Rhyshaelkan

Post by Rhyshaelkan » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:38 pm

This bill is good. Even better if it includes all astronomical bodies. Including the Moon, Mars, moons of other planets.

I despise the convoluted efforts to create acronyms that are only marginally applicable and catchy. :P
I am not a professional. I am a rational amateur who dreams about humans going into space.

Sam Fraser

Post by Sam Fraser » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:50 pm

Update:

The most detailed testimony at the hearing was also the most skeptical. Mark Sykes, the Director of the Planetary Science Institute and a co-investigator on the NASA Dawn mission to Vesta and Ceres, bluntly stated that, "The development of an NEO ISRU infrastructure is beyond the scope of private enterprise."

http://io9.com/congressional-hearing-sl ... 1633510688

Short version: "I don't believe private companies can do this so they should be prohibited from even trying in case I'm proven wrong."
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand..... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out, to the black, tell em I ain't coming back..... Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Rhyshaelkan

Post by Rhyshaelkan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:50 am

Some refuse to evolve. Nationalism and pride for NASA puts blinders on people. Wish more would back companies like Planetary Resources. Or get behind visions such as PERMANENT.
I am not a professional. I am a rational amateur who dreams about humans going into space.

Sam Fraser

Post by Sam Fraser » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:16 am

This appears to have been renamed the SPACE Act and was eventually passed in May, 2015:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... e-is-here/

Bill text here:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr1508/text