Private deep-space NEO telescope announced

Search programs, characterization of NEOs and resources, geology, probes, mining, transport to and from NEOs, NEO materials processing, NEO products and markets, <b>closely</b> related topics

Moderator: smccann

Sam Fraser

Private deep-space NEO telescope announced

Post by Sam Fraser » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:54 am

In a press conference at the California Academy of Sciences Thursday morning, the B612 Foundation unveiled its plans to build, launch, and operate the first privately funded deep space mission – SENTINEL – a space telescope to be placed in orbit around the Sun, ranging up to 170 million miles from Earth, for a mission of discovery and mapping.

...said Ed Lu, Space Shuttle, Soyuz, and Space Station Astronaut, now Chairman and CEO of the B612 Foundation, “During its 5.5-year mission survey time, Sentinel will discover and track half a million Near Earth Asteroids, creating a dynamic map that will provide the blueprint for future exploration of our Solar System, while protecting the future of humanity on Earth.”

http://b612foundation.org/media/press-releases/

Via NextBigFuture
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand..... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out, to the black, tell em I ain't coming back..... Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Ommas

Post by Ommas » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:36 am

Defelection of large Objects.

I don't believe I'm the only one to see potential to employ theses objects.
Yes the objects threaten with much destruction. However were human and we work towards positive outcomes.
This good info http://b612foundation.org/media/at-a-glance-fact-sheet/
, but knowlege isn't as important as knowing how to apply the knowledge.

What's next on human mastery of the near earth objects.
Sending a fleet to deflect or destroy them?
Or Fitting them with equipment to change trajectory. So that they become a fleet.

P.S.
Some of my raw ideas from JAFO
  1. Carving the objects into tools
    Gasifying the objects into cloud/bubble for breaking features
    solid object vs clustered together objects for collision and deflection.
    Create ejecta from collision objects to collect small amounts resources in space
Last edited by Ommas on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhyshaelkan

Post by Rhyshaelkan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:43 am

To understand, using telescopes to detect, and then we can go deflect with other means?
I am not a professional. I am a rational amateur who dreams about humans going into space.

Ommas

Post by Ommas » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:29 pm

My point is not against what thier mission is.
It is that there is no talk of employing the objects once they are discovered and tracked. At least not in the real sense and not science fiction.

Deflecting a large object still leaves a large object in the solar system.
Reducing thier size, but in a way that creates a useful object that is less threatening.

It may prove to be a profitable way of creating a fleet of mass heavy objects already in space without launch costs. Nor intended to ever need to be landed. What intrigues me would be changing trajectory of the objects to collect supplies of particles from CME and returning near Venus. Possibly to collect gasses that the solar winds are skimming off venus atmosphere also.

I'll stop here before I go too far.

Sam Fraser

Post by Sam Fraser » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:33 am

A setback for B612:

NASA has terminated its unfunded Space Act Agreement (SAA) with the B612 Foundation.

Its primary purpose was obtaining NASA technical consulting and agreement for B612 to use NASA tracking facilities for Sentinel after it was launched. In return, B612 would keep NASA informed of the spacecraft's technical characteristics and progress and deliver data from the spacecraft to the Minor Planet Center.

The milestones identified in the agreement were:

- Sentinel mission contract start date with Ball [Aerospace], November 2012
- Preliminary design review, October 2013
- Critical Design Review, October 2014
- Launch, December 2016

NASA spokesm[a]n...Dave Steitz...explained that B612 had not met an important milestone in the SAA -- starting Sentinel's development -- and NASA therefore terminated the agreement because "due to limited resources, NASA can no longer afford to reserve funds" to support the project.

B612 is trying to fund the Sentinel mission privately, using mostly philanthropic donations although anyone may contribute.

http://www.spacepolicyonline.com/news/n ... spacecraft

Fundraising is tough.
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand..... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out, to the black, tell em I ain't coming back..... Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.