Crowdfunding

General topics which don't fit into any one category below ... but you can feel free to start any topic here, whereby later the moderator may move it to another category below. Since this is a new board, we can put most discussions here until there are more posts. This forum was started in mid-July 2009 (on the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11).

Moderator: smccann

box

Thanks for responses

Post by box » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:36 pm

I have read your replies and have been trying to digest them and incorporate the information and ideas you guys have shared.

I have a lot of input to try and fit together into something useful.

The essence seems to be:
-start small
-need perks/products to keep people giving money
-utilise other revenue stream

I think I am partially discouraged by all these unsuccesful projects, forums, websites, that already tried the same thing.

I am doubting that I could do anything differently or better than what already has been tried and didn't work.

Though to find that out I need to figure out what they have tried so far, and why it didn't work, and then see how it could have worked.

I had a chat with somebody on Sunday and he suggested that I start small here in Australia and try to work out the system on small scale and then try and scale it up to an international organisation. I did actually like his idea especially seeing how behind Australia is in this field.

Do you guys think it would be possible to crowd source the design of the system?

Bascially get the community figure out the way they want to organise themselves and also how they distribute funds etc.
Or do individuals have to serve the ready system up on a platter for the masses?

Does it even have to be uniform? I mean the ways each subgroup organises itself.

How do we link up all the currently existing projects into one big one?
Last edited by box on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevend

Post by stevend » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:22 pm

Planetary Resources is getting in on kickstarter, but first they're polling people for ideas for pledge levels:
http://www.planetaryresources.com/2012/ ... ckstarter/

So they're creating interest before starting the kickstarter and trying to make sure the gifts will actually be of value.
-Steve

Rhyshaelkan

Post by Rhyshaelkan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:56 pm

[quote=""stevend""]Planetary Resources is getting in on kickstarter, but first they're polling people for ideas for pledge levels:
http://www.planetaryresources.com/2012/ ... ckstarter/

So they're creating interest before starting the kickstarter and trying to make sure the gifts will actually be of value.
-Steve[/quote]

Good stuff here.
I am not a professional. I am a rational amateur who dreams about humans going into space.

John Hunt

Post by John Hunt » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:40 pm

[quote=""stevend""]Planetary Resources is getting in on kickstarter, but first they're polling people for ideas for pledge levels:[/quote]

PR is so well known that they can get people to respond and give them suggestions. We wouldn't get anywhere near such a response if we tried. At least not at our current level of prominence. However, it is a very effective survey method to get a good response rate by approaching people directly. But this is artificial because what matters in the market is usually what people are willing to do at their own initiative.

sgeos

Post by sgeos » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:04 am

[quote=""stevend""]Planetary Resources is getting in on kickstarter, but first they're polling people for ideas for pledge levels[/quote]
It will be interesting to see how things shake out for them. That is market research that will be useful for anyone else who wants to try something similar.

[quote=""stevend""]So they're creating interest before starting the kickstarter and trying to make sure the gifts will actually be of value.[/quote]
Your campaign starts before you actually start collecting money. It is a bad idea rush into anything unprepared. Good job PR!

box

Post by box » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:58 am

Well I have been thinking about this crowdfunding issue.

I think we could crowd source the crowd funding and crowd working. :)

Well basically if we are talking about running a space program, what we could do is simply break up the project into tiny pieces, then utilise hobby groups, or individual tinkerers worldwide to tackle the small pieces of the problem. The funding they would require shouldn't be too large, and so it might be easier for them to mobilise their social network to collect money.

We could even aid in all that, if we as a collective build a large social network, and market ourselves as a whole, eventhough we would be made of thousands of self sufficient groups all over the globe. I keep bringing up hackerspaces, because they seem to have cracked a protion of the "crowd doing things" problem.

I think it would solve two issues.

One is the necessary large number of involvement of people to get actual work done. With braking down the network into smaller micro networks of people who actually know eachother or can meet eachother physically, the trust issues over the internet might be eliminated.
Also collecting funds for a project that the people believe is achievable is easier, then for projects that just look too insane.

For instance I could start a crowd funding project to build a rocket to get me into orbit. I would never get the funding even if I had all the credentials and experience to build one because the goal seems too insane and impossible. Copenhagen suborbitals are doing it, but they already were building things before they got attention and support.

But If I start a project to build an oxygen tank, the situation is completely different. Not only is the project very simple and easily presentable, but since the costs would be way smaller, it might be easier to mobilise friends and locals to chip in with some coinage. Especially if you offer some rewards.

Now imagine that if we had a central database where a large engineering project like a rocket capable of launching a human into orbit is broken down into thousands of subprojects, that any hobby group or individual could have a go at doing. Pair that with some healthy clear communication so we don't double up on the efforts too much. It wouldn't be a problem to have some competition happening, but we don't want to clog the system up with 1000 groups working on rocket engines and nobody on avionics or life support.

Then if the whole project is open source, it means all the groups can capitalise on the work of the other groups. We could share facilities, knowledge, resources etc...

Then if we actually did a project that is not merely a rocket to get cargo and personel into space but also a factory and facility mass produce and launch said rockets, then we might just get ourselves a neat space program happening.

Well at least that's my pipe dream at the moment. :D

Sam Fraser

Post by Sam Fraser » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:21 am

I get more and more hopeful and enthusiastic about crowd-funding of "garage space" projects when I read stories like this:

Lunar Space Elevator Kickstarter is over double its $8000 goal. The Lunar space elevator kickstarter is over $16,000 and still increasing. The Kickstarter will run until September 13, 2012.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2012/08/lunar- ... er-is.html
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand..... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out, to the black, tell em I ain't coming back..... Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

stevend

Post by stevend » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:36 pm

[quote=""Sam Fraser""]I get more and more hopeful and enthusiastic about crowd-funding of "garage space" projects when I read stories like this:

Lunar Space Elevator Kickstarter is over double its $8000 goal. The Lunar space elevator kickstarter is over $16,000 and still increasing. The Kickstarter will run until September 13, 2012.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2012/08/lunar- ... er-is.html[/quote]

That's another example of breaking a big project into smaller projects and crowd-funding the small projects individually - just as box was mentioning above. Another example is this recently successful JP aerospace one:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/156 ... e-of-space

An example of one done wrong was Bill Stone's Shackleton Energy Company's campaign where they were trying to fund lunar mining but didn't break it down. They were really just asking for start-up funds but then end goal was all the way to the moon - no intermediate milestone. They also failed because they dropped the ball on marketing it but I think not breaking it down was the main reason.
-Steve

Sam Fraser

Post by Sam Fraser » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:13 am

Lunar Space Elevator Kickstarter update: $65,000 reached with one week to go.

Different Fund Raising Levels in Brief

$8,000 - 2 km test
$20,000 - better sensors
$30,000 - at least 3 to 5 kilometer
$50,000 - new robot and at least 3 to 5 kilometer
$75,000 - transition from altitude to endurance
$100,000 - back in business for real
$250,000 - try for to climb to the limit of balloon technology , about 20 miles / 30 kilometers

$500,000 - tests with plants and animals at 30 kilometers
$3,000,000 - Full feasibility study and tests

http://nextbigfuture.com/2012/09/lunar- ... -over.html
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand..... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out, to the black, tell em I ain't coming back..... Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

joertexas

CislunarTech Kickstarter Project

Post by joertexas » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:21 pm

I think we are going to try for $16,000 and run the project for one month. That will give us enough to build a test rover and fund efforts to gain sponsorship. I'm hoping to start the project on October 1st.

More to come...

JR