Cislunar GPS and orbital tracking

First private sector mission concepts, potential revenue streams, what various companies and organizations are doing along these lines, <b>closely</b> related topics

Moderator: smccann

Engineer
Location: United states of america (if that really means anything)

Cislunar GPS and orbital tracking

Post by Engineer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:25 am

During a break at work, I had a nice chat with David Dunlop on lunar development. A nice opportunity to chat with some one highly knowledgeable about the space industry and a regular space conference member. Admittedly, a lot of the stuff I learned here was brought up during the conversation, and a lot of new stuff was also brought up as well. One of the things that stuck in my head was a cislunar GPS system. Using the L points, beacons on the moon, and some lunar satellites, one can triangulate exactly where a space craft is at any given time, what speed its traveling, trajectory, etc anywhere in the cislunar space. This will be especially useful when taking cargo to and from the moon, L1, and LEO. Of course, the military use of such a system is obvious, so I'll refrain from discussing that aspect. Mr. Dunlop and I chatted for several hours. I may post a few other topics he and I had.

:cool:
“Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.”
― Plato