Question on landing weight to fuel consumption. please check

First private sector mission concepts, potential revenue streams, what various companies and organizations are doing along these lines, <b>closely</b> related topics

Moderator: smccann

Engineer
Location: United states of america (if that really means anything)

Progress so far

Post by Engineer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:08 pm

I've been playing around with the fallout map editor, but am having problems understanding the data from the LRO. The map editor apparently "paints" the elevation onto the map using different colors. theres an import option though and that will make it much easier. the file format must be:
Import?
import raw images from Data\HeightFeild directory?
(images must be 1024X1024 and in a 16-bit RAW format)
yes NO
thats the pop up
but when yes is pressed, it says:
Error
No properly formatted files found
I've checked the hight map for the game and all that. its all colorized. they are not textures. I would like to know if the data from the LRO can be converted into this type of form. since you fellas have been playing with it for a while now, you ought to be well ahead of me on its format and etc. also, we can simulate a lot of things on the map including entry and all that. there isn't a height restriction on it. orbit might be a problem though. then the LRO also took the most detailed images as well, so its a simple matter to use them as textures.
by the way, any one know how to post a video on each of these entries? I'll post up the ones I make once I get the cam working.
:cool:
“Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.”
― Plato

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:09 am

[quote=""Engineer817""]I've been playing around with the fallout map editor, but am having problems understanding the data from the LRO. [/quote]

This is one of the things I've stumbled over. Programming and graphics just isn't my field. However, the following might help:

http://ltvt.wikispaces.com/LTVT - program to read LOLA DEM files:

http://imbrium.mit.edu/DATA/LOLA_GDR/POLAR/IMG/ - directory of LOLA IMG DEMs

http://imbrium.mit.edu/DATA/LOLA_GDR/PO ... 5N_10M.IMG and http://imbrium.mit.edu/DATA/LOLA_GDR/PO ... 5N_10M.LBL - specific file for the area we're interested in - exact landing coordinates are 89.55N 30.0W

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/inde ... owforum=58 - board that discusses LRO - these people are pros and generally don't even talk at my level.

Hope this helps.

JR

Engineer

to the game console! already there? then to the moon!

Post by Engineer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:54 am

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=65476818 we're looking at less then 20 miles. I'd like you to do me a favor. if you can pull up a map at about 16 square miles, with the cords you gave in the middle of it, I think I might be able to work out a way of uploading. I should warn you though, uploading it is one thing, but meshing it could take up to 10 hours. after that, I will require the best pictures of the area in general. that will be for the texturing. I will then release it to you fellas once it works. I'll really have to work at it, but I'm sure we can hack it.
“Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.”
― Plato

Engineer

looking for peacock colored map.

Post by Engineer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:57 am

also forgot to mention, the image we're looking for should be highly colored for the elevation. if we can find that and the color code for elevation, then its a piece of cake configuring the editor (I hope)
― Plato

Engineer

Houston!!!

Post by Engineer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:39 am

we might have a problem... going through the tutorials and found something really, really bad. http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/World_LOD could take several weeks to complete the map. that ain't good. and I can damn well garentee you that the landscape is going to be big and complicated. well lads, this is going to take a while. the soon as we're done with this, the better. but, the editor has its shares of glitches... and on top of that, I only got 1 computer worth shit to use for this project. my other one's CD is malfunctioning and the computing power is horrific. I do have a tech department that might be able to help though. Andrews my programming teacher and the NSA's constantly trying to get him to join them. he'd be able to help out with the file extensions and possibly conversion. I keep asking myself, what the hell did I drag myself into? ain't quitting it till the fat lady sings though. But that brings up another problem. what are we going to do with this program and its data? We will obviously use it for purposes of public education and funding support, but should we release it right away? any body could then slap it on their website and call it theirs. In my opinion, and it might be wrong, I say we withhold the data until we get this entire website remade, get the database finished, really sink our teeth into getting this site ready for a massive attention grabber. allowing people to come to the site and take a virtual tour of the space base with their friends... that's news worthy. we may have to input another engine though. heard good things about panda3d http://www.panda3d.org/gallery.phpit looks alright. I am not sure, but the fallout game may not allow us to have a multiplayer system for either laws and regs or we may have to redirect the commands to different servers that do have the engine installed.
by the way, how do I view the .IMG file?
― Plato

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:48 pm

[quote=""Engineer817""]http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=65476818 we're looking at less then 20 miles. I'd like you to do me a favor. if you can pull up a map at about 16 square miles, with the cords you gave in the middle of it, I think I might be able to work out a way of uploading. I should warn you though, uploading it is one thing, but meshing it could take up to 10 hours. after that, I will require the best pictures of the area in general. that will be for the texturing. I will then release it to you fellas once it works. I'll really have to work at it, but I'm sure we can hack it.
:cool: [/quote]

http://www.forumlog.com/nanobiotechnolo ... ctureid=22

This is the large area map. The bullseye is about 10km north of the intended landing point...

JR

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:50 pm

[quote=""engineer817""]
by the way, how do i view the .img file?
:cool: [/quote]

ltvt.

Jr

Engineer

Columbus never needed no map *throws map to Atlantis out window*

Post by Engineer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:50 pm

the first view is not the kind of file I'm looking for. I've been focusing more on the game aspect thinking you have more on the data file area. I've gone to the geology head professor and he says that the topomaps are not in the same format as in 0-200 is red shade 201=400 is blue, 401 -600 is green. the colors could be entirely switched around and the distances are always varyable. so the real problems we have facing here on my end to get the actual size of the game's large world, cut that size out of the data picture you give me which would have to be HUGE, (we're still talling about the topo map here) then input the values and the color order for it which should come with the format for the topomap, and lastly, take a photo of the landscape we load, cut it up into 16 pieces, and load them one at a time onto the map to act as the texture. (might have to do that for the topo as well still working on that) What I need is the topo map, the format information the map is in, its scale of the map(so I can "cut" out the area we're going to load) and lastly a picture thats exactly the same as the topomap except in its actual color to use as the texture. I have absolutely no idea on how to get those. but after that, I can almost garentee you that I can load it to your satisfaction. I have the game aspect nearly completely covered, but the data from the LRO I have no idea how to interpret.

To recap:
needed:
1 20mile topo map (should be different shades of many colors. greens, blues, etc)
1 topomap's file information on how the elevation is presented.
1 real world photo of the map in question to use as texture.

after that, its just a matter of waiting for the images to load and modify them here and there.(cut them to the worldmaps size while maintaining the scale of avatar in relation to the map's scale)

and then loading them. which I said could be a while. I'm going to do some research into the data, but if you can get me those files, then its basically over.

also forgot to mention, the highest detail is a nessicity. I don't care if they are a gig in size. detail is everything.
Last edited by Engineer on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: forgot to mention
― Plato

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:13 pm

http://lunar.gsfc.nasa.gov/lola/images/weekly/peary.jpg

This is about the best I can find that's not exaggerated vertically.

http://target.lroc.asu.edu/da/qmap.html

If you go here and select the north pole map, and enter the coordinates, you can see what images are available for the area.

http://www.iki.rssi.ru/conf/2011-lg/pre ... (GSFC).pdf

This document has some closer images - but I don't know how to get the data files.

Welcome to my world ;)

JR

Engineer

on the run... and at a full stop

Post by Engineer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 pm

thats almost exactly what I needed. but questions remain. for the first link to the picture, I don't think I can really use that without really digging into it. the scale is a bit big for sure, and I'd have to input the values by eye. not really good enough but kinda managable. the second link is perfect for the texture if you can capture the images out of it in the best detail. not sure how though, and lastly, the pdf I'm still reading through. wil edit this when I'm finished. I'm on a small laptop and time is of the essence. if you can find the exact information on the color hues on that map or possibly I could go into paint and check them by hand. its then just converting the kilometers into the games units which I'm still working on. will be on in about an hour or so. talk then if you can
Alright, back. went through the PDF on the way home, and the data in there is almost precisely what I'm looking for only they need to be BIGGER!!! the topograph maps they had were what I was looking for. I am just about ready to start the process of building the maps now. I can't stress enough the detail that we need. we can't just load a 20 meg pic and jump in and think its going to have the small craters depths and etc, we need to have it. I found the unit conversion information here: http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Units that gives the exact map size which is 14.976 kilometers in length and the same in width. now you see the conversion stuff I need. I need that size map of the area we intend to land. after we load the map we can really simulate the rover moving across the landscapes. good news to, the color variables and their elevation values uses the same format as pain does. that means the picture I load I will be able to take a precise value of the color code. YAHOO!!! thats all for now. just need a massive file to cut up into tiny little pieces. * readies scissors*
and yet another edit.
I tried turning that picture you posted the link to into a .raw file and I took about 30 minutes setting the values for each elevation mark, then I resized the picture to the required 1024X1024 though I'm not sure if its 16 bits. could use a bit of info on that... but I've tried uploading the .raw into the editor and poof. it dies. again and again the same result. it doesn't even show the area where you can choose the files. you just press import, press yes when it tells you the format required, then it crashes, doing research I found that the editor is a released sdk for the game and that the company, bethseda used different software to create the game and thought the sdk was "good enough" for the modding community. I am extremely, extremely bummed right now. I've begun research into the panda3D system though. it looks a lot better and supports ubuntu :D going to put it on my 3 computers and figure this whole thing out. sorry to let you guys down.
Last edited by Engineer on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: dissapointment
― Plato