Question on landing weight to fuel consumption. please check

First private sector mission concepts, potential revenue streams, what various companies and organizations are doing along these lines, <b>closely</b> related topics

Moderator: smccann

Ommas

Post by Ommas » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:14 am

I found this very enlightening. Thanks for sharing.

Is the only way to achieve lunar orbit rocket launch?

I'm also looking for realistic ladders.

Rhyshaelkan

Post by Rhyshaelkan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:54 am

Luna would be a better candidate for an elevator, than Earth. The counterweight point would be at EML1 60000km from the lunar surface. Although the elevator cable would be longer for Luna, than one for Earth. It would not have to endure as great of stress. So that a lunar elevator could be made, even with today's materials(carbon nanotubes do have the theoretical strength but have not been produced in the size, quantity or quality necessary to be remotely considered viable at this time).

With that said though, there are cheaper and faster ways, than an elevator, to get to L1 from Luna. If you have any sort of industry on Luna, you could fabricate a railgun/massdriver to launch payloads. Until industry has taken root and grown on Luna, rockets will be only way.
I am not a professional. I am a rational amateur who dreams about humans going into space.

Engineer
Location: United states of america (if that really means anything)

Quick, put on the helmets and hide!!! I got an idea

Post by Engineer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:28 pm

Just why do we have to have cable? why not use the nano tubes as the support system for the elevator and have it climb up using gears or friction rollers against the sides? there would be challenges for that sure, including finding enough material for the system, but using the standard method of lowering a cable to the surface would be the first step, then using the elevator to slowly build the elevator one section at a time until an enclosure is built for the main elevator to climb up. of course, it would probably be more dangerous since you have this huge beam of metal and ceramics that could crash into the surface, but for lunar practicability, there won't be anything too valuable along the equator that can't be replaced. and that's where the elevator has to be placed to get its centrifugal force to remain upright.
:cool:
“Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.”
― Plato

Engineer

awaiting piece of mail with many disappointments inside.

Post by Engineer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:25 pm

[quote=""joertexas""]I have a spreadsheet on rocket engine specifications, but I have no clue where it came from..

JR[/quote]

Still waiting on getting that. And is there a zombie plague I haven't heard about? its kinda quiet on the forum lately. If you get a chance, just Email it to me. my adress should be in my profile.
“Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.”
― Plato

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:22 am

[quote=""Engineer817""]Still waiting on getting that. And is there a zombie plague I haven't heard about? its kinda quiet on the forum lately. If you get a chance, just Email it to me. my adress should be in my profile.
:cool: [/quote]

I"m pretty much stuck on making a video of the Moon Shot landing. I've got the flight sequences, but not the ground ops.

JR

Engineer

Look out!!! Video game guru approaching!!!

Post by Engineer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:42 am

can you explain exactly what you're doing? I may be able to help with some of it if you'd like. I assume you'll be using the orbiter for the flight to and from, but in order to make the ground work, you'll need a video game with something called havoc. havoc is basically a reaction program made to simulate gravity, explosive reactions, blow backs on weapons, etc. It can be modified I believe. If you're just going to use blender... well, from what I've experienced from daz 3d, its going to be pretty tough to make the scenes. here, just a few games that I've found with an excellent modding community and plenty of tutorials for making new objects, new maps, new tiles, new everything. In fact, some of them you could simply strip out everything and rebuild it however you want as long as the engine is the same. 1 engine, one type of obj reading.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhUC34G0 ... re=related
This is the Zombie Map called Moon from the call of duty series. I've never played it, but it looks sweet. they even modified havoc for the lunar environment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1spJMT14SMQ
This is a really old game I used to play. Battle Zone may be old, but you can still get the map editors for it. Theres even precreated buildings in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZcuU5cHTJQ&hd=1
Fallout tactics. This is more of a birds eye view system. I think it would only be useful for overviews of base layouts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnLYWSh8oek&hd=1
and of course, probably the versitile engine available today that has the largest modding community(that means the most tutorial videos available) The post fallout tactics games. (ie F3 and F NewVegas(with many map packs))
If you want a sense of reality, don't go for basic programs, go for games because their creators wanted to make it as real as possible to increase their own fan base and there for profits. And its perfectly legal to use as long as you credit them later.
Needless to say, all of these games can be modified with little effort. Landscapes can be created, buildings fabricated, vehicle sprites created with just an hour's worth of work, entities (people or robotics or what ever) set on predefined courses, theres even a multiplayer feature. Imagine setting this up for an investor to see. Not just some pictures or some dry graphs, but actually allowing them to look and even move in the final base layout. Not to mention mission planning. I'm sure we can create a system to input the data from the LRO and place that into the maps. In fact, I know this other game that uses something like 3D max to create their maps. I think its just X Box though. and here is another link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHLccoKwolo
with just a little work, I'm sure you can make the texture files automatically pair up with the relevant landscape. And if I recall, the LRO took detailed terrain elevation and features. We could pair them with that as well.
Did I miss anything?
― Plato

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:03 pm

[quote=""Engineer817""]
Did I miss anything?

No, I think you covered it. I'd like to model the mission from the time where the lander gets to 50' or so from landing all the way to where we discover ice on the crater floor.

JR

Engineer

2 people?

Post by Engineer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:07 pm

I was wondering, is there a multiplayer (so to speak) function in orbitor? can 2 people be on the same map? I'm sure the models exist for it
― Plato

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:07 pm

[quote=""Engineer817""]I was wondering, is there a multiplayer (so to speak) function in orbitor? can 2 people be on the same map? I'm sure the models exist for it

No, I don't think so.

JR

Engineer

look ma, 2 people

Post by Engineer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:00 pm

The point of the sim should be to allow investors a chance to walk around, see the sites, watch the robotics move about, etc, etc. we need two or more player capability for that
― Plato