Extinction Level Event (E.L.E.) Scenario

First private sector mission concepts, potential revenue streams, what various companies and organizations are doing along these lines, <b>closely</b> related topics

Moderator: smccann

SituationMission

Extinction Level Event (E.L.E.) Scenario

Post by SituationMission » Mon May 30, 2011 3:45 am

Deleted Post
Last edited by SituationMission on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Mon May 30, 2011 4:29 am

Well, we're working toward a lunar manufacturing base, starting with the Moon Shot project I'm spearheading.

JR

sgeos

Post by sgeos » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:53 am

I'm not sure what the original poster said, but non-anthropogenic extinction events are natural events that occur periodically. It's only a matter of time before the next non-anthropogenic mass extinction event occurs. A large enough event could wipe out all humans (and most everything else) in Earth's biosphere. Humanity is a very recent development on a geological timescale. There is no need to even consider anthropogenic events, but you may if you wish.

Humanity can do amazing things, but nature works on a completely different scale. When big stuff goes down, humanity will be helpless in the moment and lots of people will die. On the bright side, we move very fast on a geological timescale and there is probably enough time to take precautionary measures (like setting up space colonies, etc) before the big stuff goes down.

Engineer
Location: United states of america (if that really means anything)

Post by Engineer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:01 am

What exactly did the first post say, and what moon mission are you spearheading?
:cool:
“Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.”
― Plato

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:40 pm

[quote=""Engineer817""]What exactly did the first post say, and what moon mission are you spearheading?
:cool: [/quote]

The first post was spam, IIRC.

I'm working on an unmanned exploration mission to Hinshelwood Crater at the lunar north pole, which I've dubbed "Moon Shot". It involves flying a Falcon 9 with a lunar lander capable of delivering several small rovers to the lunar surface. The mission will also deploy a small lunar orbiter to act as a communications relay to the surface.

JR

Engineer

Post by Engineer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:31 pm

I am kinda new to this plan you have, but from what I've read you are looking for investors as well as companies that would help build the euqipment and then launch with a heavy falcon. I've devoted my spare time to science and engineering, but I have little expiriance in actual construction, or for that matter, rockets. But I would suggets you look up the missle silos in Montana and other states that may go out of commission. Granted, it might be radioactive, and they will be small payloads (Unless they were thinking about overkill) but I think you may find anther option in that line. Besides, the government wastes every thing any way. If they scrap them, you could buy them on the cheap and use the parts for more advanced designs. You'd be suprised how many missles are in the state of MT. but WW3 ain't coming for a long time.

And Please forgive my spelling
Last edited by Engineer on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.”
― Plato

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:37 am

I'm planning to launch with a Falcon 9, and the whole mission will cost about $150 million. The potential returns are huge, though..

JR

Engineer

Post by Engineer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:57 am

[quote=""joertexas""]I'm planning to launch with a Falcon 9, and the whole mission will cost about $150 million. The potential returns are huge, though..

JR[/quote]

I understand that. I've done some research on the falcon heavy and compared it to the Minute man 3 and found that the falcon outclasses it by far in every field except potential cost. I don't want to stress the point to much, but the minuteman is way outdated but has a altitude of 700 miles. I'm sure with some modifactions and perhaps "straping" the engines together in 1 rocket (kinda like the vosteck if thats how you spell it) may prove viable. As for the potential returns, you don't have to convince me. But I was imagining that the first mission would be a scouting mission, then the second would be the mining esentials and the third, the "gas station". I'm rather intrested in talking in real time. Send me a Face book request.
― Plato