A Name for a Lunar Mining Plan

First private sector mission concepts, potential revenue streams, what various companies and organizations are doing along these lines, <b>closely</b> related topics

Moderator: smccann

John Hunt

Post by John Hunt » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:28 am

I've been doing some more thinking...

RAPID = Really Affordable Plan for In-space Development

The "In-space" is a bit forced. But, for the whole plan, I would like to include the concept of colonization and/or expansion of humanity to the solar system. So it could be:

RAPID-AC = Really Affordable Plan for In-Space Development And Colonization

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:40 am

[quote=""Sam Fraser""]Permanent Lunar Utilization and Settlement or the PLUS Plan/Project.

I chose this acronym because we're "adding" to Earth's economic and habitable sphere through the moon. "Plus" can also mean an upside/advantage/benefit. It goes without saying developing the moon is a "positive". :rolleyes:[/quote]

I like this acronym :)

JR

Sam Fraser

Post by Sam Fraser » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:44 am

[quote=""JohnHunt""]I've been doing some more thinking...

RAPID = Really Affordable Plan for In-space Development[/quote]

I like the use of adjectives denoting speed. How about:

FASTER - Flexible Affordable and Sustainable uTilization of Extraterrestrial Resources

The "T" is a real stretch as you can see. Also:

SPEEDI - Space Projects to Enable Economical Development and Industrialization

None are stand-outs. They're also meandering off the focus on a name for a lunar mining plan. Still, they might inspire some brainwaves.
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand..... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out, to the black, tell em I ain't coming back..... Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

sgeos

Post by sgeos » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:47 am

According to a school of thought (I wish I had the link), company names should not be something recognizable. The idea is that you want people to only think of your products when they hear your name. For example, what comes to mind when you hear "Sony"? Now try "Apple". People can have preconceived notions about certain words, and "meaningless" names circumvent this as much as possible. I think the same thing can apply to projects.

According to this school of thought, something meaningless like "Yanwob" would be a fantastic name. Google turns up nothing and both yanwob.com and yanwob.org are free. If you don't like Yanwob, there are plenty of other meaningless names that fit the bill. =)

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:59 am

Most names I've ever seen mean something, even Google. I still like PLUS :)

JR

Sam Fraser

Post by Sam Fraser » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:26 am

[quote=""sgeos""]According to a school of thought (I wish I had the link), company names should not be something recognizable. The idea is that you want people to only think of your products when they hear your name. For example, what comes to mind when you hear "Sony"? Now try "Apple". People can have preconceived notions about certain words, and "meaningless" names circumvent this as much as possible. I think the same thing can apply to projects.

According to this school of thought, something meaningless like "Yanwob" would be a fantastic name. Google turns up nothing and both yanwob.com and yanwob.org are free. If you don't like Yanwob, there are plenty of other meaningless names that fit the bill. =)[/quote]

I cringe when I read many of these nonsense names. The companies don't seem serious about image at all. They appear cheap and infantile to me like they asked the CEO's precious little 2-year-old for ideas to save on ad agency fees. For example, an online payment system called MoneyBookers my company uses to receive payments is going to relaunch with the name "Skrill". WTF is that supposed to mean? How does that relate to online payments? The change isn't necessary. Apple is an actual word, as is Google, PayPal uses alliteration, Facebook is what it says etc.

Taking an existing English word (which can't be trademarked) and tweaking it or combining with another word into a unique amalgamation (which can) would be better. For example, I know of a translation company that changed a boring old name (so boring I've forgotten it) to "Eqho Communications". The deliberate misspelling is clever and works. In the space field, SpaceX is a unique name, as is SpaceDev. I suppose naming conventions would be a bit different depending on whether we're naming a company or a project/product. Moonex Corporation? The Lunium Project? The Krater Kritter X900 Series Autonomous Exploration Rover? (Batteries not included.)
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand..... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out, to the black, tell em I ain't coming back..... Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Rhyshaelkan

Post by Rhyshaelkan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:55 am

Permanent Institute of Science Studies and Orbital Fabrication Facilities?
I am not a professional. I am a rational amateur who dreams about humans going into space.

Sam Fraser

Post by Sam Fraser » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:01 am

[quote=""Rhyshaelkan""]Permanent Institute of Science Studies and Orbital Fabrication Facilities?[/quote]

You are a very naughty boy, Rhys. Reminds me of "Win The Future" in Obama's SOTU speech. He should fire his speechwriter for that one.

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:15 pm

[quote=""Sam Fraser""]You are a very naughty boy, Rhys. Reminds me of "Win The Future" in Obama's SOTU speech. He should fire his speechwriter for that one.[/quote]

Rhys is hereby removed from the Acronyms Department... :p

JR