A Name for a Lunar Mining Plan

First private sector mission concepts, potential revenue streams, what various companies and organizations are doing along these lines, <b>closely</b> related topics

Moderator: smccann

John Hunt

A Name for a Lunar Mining Plan

Post by John Hunt » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:46 am

For plans to develop lunar ice for rocket fuel in LEO, I have alternately suggested the following names:
- Sustainable Space Development (SSD) and
- Lunar Ice To LEO (LITL)

Now I would like to suggest one more name:
- The Really Affordable Plan for Space Opening and Development (The RAPSODy Plan)

I got the idea from Spudis and Lavoie's unnamed plan which they describe an affordable approach to lunar return. But, whereas their plan would cost $88 billion, mine (ours?) would cost (I believe) in the neighborhood of $15 to $20 billion.

Here are the components of the RAPSODy Plan:
- X-Prizes (sometimes NASA funded)
....- lunar water ice prospecting mission with landers & rovers or hoppers
....- small demo ice extraction and transport
....- electrolysis of water to fuel
....- small demo lunar ice to LEO
....- full scale medium lunar lander (e.g. Armadillo or Masten for Robonauts, equipment)
- Lunar COTS (payment for milestones)
- Large ice truck/OTV with heat shield
- Commercial Orbital Fuel Service (NASA guaranteed purchases of water for fuel in LEO)
- Orbital Electrolysis Depot
- Private manned landing using previous cargo landers and the establishment of an increasingly self-sustaining base

So, what do you all think of the RAPSODy name?
Last edited by John Hunt on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:49 am, edited 8 times in total.

Rhyshaelkan

Post by Rhyshaelkan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:15 pm

I think acronyms are overrated. NASA and governments seem to get off on them. However they do make nice buzzwords. It seems like they try too hard to make a good buzzword work for what the mission hopes to accomplish. I find most ungainly.

Projects to Employ the Resources of the Moon, and Asteroids Near the Earth in the Near Term. I would not want to slight Mark's good work. However I wish PERMANENT stood for something a little more permanent than just near term.

RAPSODy sounds good. However I would mull it over a little more to make it fit better :P

Personally I chalk it up to PERMANENT Mission 1 which is our moonshot/surveyor mission on which Joe has worked so hard.

PM 2 will encompass more and better exploration and/or if PM 1 has accomplished every goal we want. Move on to the next step, whatever that may be.
I am not a professional. I am a rational amateur who dreams about humans going into space.

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:25 pm

[quote=""Rhyshaelkan""]
Personally I chalk it up to PERMANENT Mission 1 which is our moonshot/surveyor mission on which Joe has worked so hard.

PM 2 will encompass more and better exploration and/or if PM 1 has accomplished every goal we want. Move on to the next step, whatever that may be.[/quote]

For the record, "Moon Shot" is simply a working name. I don't expect that name to be kept permanently. :)

JR

Sam Fraser

Post by Sam Fraser » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:02 am

[quote=""Rhyshaelkan""]I think acronyms are overrated. NASA and governments seem to get off on them. However they do make nice buzzwords. It seems like they try to hard to make a good buzzword work for what the mission hopes to accomplish. I find most ungainly.[/quote]

I agree. Acronyms can be fun to create and NASA is pretty adept at them, but they're usually pretty laboured efforts. I tried for about an hour and came up with only a few lame ones that weren't really on point. Probably someone in PR or advertising could come up with some really good ones that are linked to popular culture, mythological characters or historical figures. I suggest a broad and descriptive working name for now, something like the Lunar Settlement Initiative.
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand..... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out, to the black, tell em I ain't coming back..... Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Sam Fraser

Post by Sam Fraser » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:18 am

Permanent Lunar Utilization and Settlement or the PLUS Plan/Project.

I chose this acronym because we're "adding" to Earth's economic and habitable sphere through the moon. "Plus" can also mean an upside/advantage/benefit. It goes without saying developing the moon is a "positive". :rolleyes:
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand..... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out, to the black, tell em I ain't coming back..... Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Rhyshaelkan

Post by Rhyshaelkan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:26 am

I like that you get permanent in there. Not only because of PERMANENT, but also because we are going there to stay. Not some flags and footprints mission.
I am not a professional. I am a rational amateur who dreams about humans going into space.

Sam Fraser

Post by Sam Fraser » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:33 am

Believe it or not, the PERMANENT tie-in didn't occur to me at the time.

Sam Fraser

Post by Sam Fraser » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:09 am

Another one that's a bit forced is:

The SEED Project - Sustainable Extraterrestrial Expansion and Development

Most people understand "extraterrestrial" to mean alien creature or life nowadays rather than its original meaning of simply "originating from beyond Earth".

moonus111

Post by moonus111 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:12 pm

you know we'll get a whole lot more publicity if we name it : "$e% on the Moon"

Sam Fraser

Post by Sam Fraser » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:43 pm

[quote=""moonus111""]you know we'll get a whole lot more publicity if we name it : "$e% on the Moon"[/quote]

Too late.