What *You* Can Do to Help

First private sector mission concepts, potential revenue streams, what various companies and organizations are doing along these lines, <b>closely</b> related topics

Moderator: smccann

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:57 pm

[quote=""sgeos""]It looks like I forget about the orbiter the falcon 9 launches. An appropriate vehicle will need to be found for that. Do you want to play with simulated vehicles on a simulated luanr surface, or do you just want to simulate getting them to the surface?

If all you are going for are screenshots (and maybe motion video), a manual flight could be recorded, instead of using a programmed mission.[/quote]

There are several add ons for the Falcon 9 at the Orbiter hangar. I've flown a couple of them. I'd like to fly the mission and record it, then be able to play it back for screenshots. If you can build the spacecraft, I can fly it. If possible, I'd like to get a few shots of the vehicles running on the lunar surface, too.

What would be really nice is to have an accurate 3D map of the area around Hinshelwood Crater.

JR

sgeos

Post by sgeos » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:02 am

It looks like new vehicles can be scripted. Unless people are running ancient computers, I think scripted vehicles are the ideal initial solution. I don't know if any of the existing Falcon 9 add ons can launch new vehicles. I played around with a Hayabusa scenario that had three or four rocket stages before releasing the probe.

As far as a lander goes... if you want a custom lander, I'm sure that can be arranged, but there are a couple of things that need mention. First of all, is Orbiter's learning curve. I'm not going to be in a position to push something out the door next week. I'll need to work toward a better conceptual understanding of orbiter, the vehicles and the mission.

Second is art. I'm the wrong guy to make the mesh (3-D model). If the mesh is made to whatever spec Orbiter uses, I'm sure I'll be able to connect the code to it.

If you want a few vehicles sprinkled around in a scenario file, I could probably manage that relatively soon.

[quote=""joertexas""]What would be really nice is to have an accurate 3D map of the area around Hinshelwood Crater.[/quote]
It's not a 3D lunar map solution, but have you tried Google Moon?

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:57 am

[quote=""sgeos""]It looks like new vehicles can be scripted. Unless people are running ancient computers, I think scripted vehicles are the ideal initial solution. I don't know if any of the existing Falcon 9 add ons can launch new vehicles. I played around with a Hayabusa scenario that had three or four rocket stages before releasing the probe.

As far as a lander goes... if you want a custom lander, I'm sure that can be arranged, but there are a couple of things that need mention. First of all, is Orbiter's learning curve. I'm not going to be in a position to push something out the door next week. I'll need to work toward a better conceptual understanding of orbiter, the vehicles and the mission.

Second is art. I'm the wrong guy to make the mesh (3-D model). If the mesh is made to whatever spec Orbiter uses, I'm sure I'll be able to connect the code to it.

If you want a few vehicles sprinkled around in a scenario file, I could probably manage that relatively soon.

It's not a 3D lunar map solution, but have you tried Google Moon?[/quote]

I appreciate anything you can do toward the goal of producing a finished mission for Orbiter.

Rares is probably our man for drawings. I can produce simple 3D drawings, but meshes are beyond me.

Google Moon and Celestia don't have the level of detail we need, but the LRO's LOLA data files are available in a 5m resolution format. I'm trying to get enough RAM to read the 1.7Gb file, and find a program to render said file in 3D. What I'd love to have is a rendering that Orbiter can display, so we could have accurate terrain to practice on.

JR

sgeos

Post by sgeos » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am

I suppose a simple 3D model could be used for the lander at first. I have not had a chance to read up on what Orbiter expects from visual assets. There must be some relatively easy way to convert a model produced in SketchUp into something Orbiter can use.

[quote=""joertexas""]I'm trying to get enough RAM to read the 1.7Gb file, and find a program to render said file in 3D.[/quote]
For what it is worth, with enough information on the file format, it should be possible to split the file into parts that can be easily managed without opening the whole thing.

As far as RAM goes, what kind of a box are you on? I suppose you are familiar with Pricewatch? You can find good deals on computer equipment there.

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Just bumping this thread...

And, I could use some help with textures on the models in Orbiter. Otherwise, I've gotten the lander to ride a Falcon 9 into orbit. Not that I was doing a happy dance about it....

JR

RaresH

Post by RaresH » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:31 pm

I have experience modeling and texturing. Actually it's what I do for work. I'll help any way I can Joe. Right now it's a bit crazy so I may not have much time this week and next but I'd love to lend a hand.

I also have flight experience in Orbiter.

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:50 pm

[quote=""RaresH""]I have experience modeling and texturing. Actually it's what I do for work. I'll help any way I can Joe. Right now it's a bit crazy so I may not have much time this week and next but I'd love to lend a hand.

I also have flight experience in Orbiter.[/quote]

I'll email my problem children to you tonight. :)

I have gotten the lander to fly - at least as a inert payload. My only problem now is getting my homemade textures to display in Orbiter. The next fight is to add engine data to the ini and config files so the lander will actually maneuver.

JR

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:11 pm

:::Bump:::

Several people have asked the above question, so I'd like to provide a short list of things that we could use help with for the Moon Shot lunar exploration mission.

If you're not familiar with this project, the relevant threads can be found by searching for "Moon Shot" in this forum. I will be delighted to answer any and all questions about this project, as well.

The following items need to be addressed:

1. NASA has released high resolution topographic data from the LOLA instrument. It can be displayed with a program called LTVT, but manipulating the 5-meter resolution files calls for a computer with at least 4Gb of RAM. I'd like a topographic map at this resolution for the area around Hinshelwood crater centered on the landing site at 89.5N/330W.

2. Using the LTVT program, pictures from the NASA LROC narrow angle camera can be overlaid onto the topographic images. This also requires processing power that my computer doesn't have. Also, there are issues with getting the images to match the contours precisely. Once the available pics are aligned, they could be combined together in a composite image of the area.

3. The data, above, is available from NASA's LRO mission to make a 3D map of the landing area, but the specifics of what programs to use needs to be further researched. The goal is to produce a 3D flyby animation of the landing area and its surroundings.

4. Illustrations, animations and renderings of the landing area, equipment, and the mission operations would be very helpful.

Mark, Sam and others here can surely add to this list, and there are other needs mentioned here in the forums. Another way to help PERMANENT is to purchase the PERMANENT book - Sam can provide details on how to do that. :)

sgeos

Post by sgeos » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:53 pm

[quote=""joertexas""]I have gotten the lander to fly - at least as a inert payload.[/quote]
I'd be curious to play around with this file, whenever it is ready to be looked at.

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:17 am

[quote=""sgeos""]I'd be curious to play around with this file, whenever it is ready to be looked at.[/quote]

I'll email you...

JR