What *You* Can Do to Help

First private sector mission concepts, potential revenue streams, what various companies and organizations are doing along these lines, <b>closely</b> related topics

Moderator: smccann

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:07 pm

[quote=""sgeos""]Given detailed enough instructions I should be able to program it. For now, I'll need to get through the manual. =). I'm also on a Mac and VMware Fusion doesn't seem to like Orbiter, but it seems usable.[/quote]

Check out the moon flight with the Delta Flyer. It's not exactly the profile I'd use, but it's fairly close. The Flyer is able to launch from the ground to orbit because its engines' Isp is something like 4000 - or ten times what existing chemical engines can do. The view is fantastic during the flight, too.

JR

sgeos

Post by sgeos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:00 am

Thank you for the suggestion.
FYI, the orbiter forum can be found here.

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:49 am

[quote=""sgeos""]Thank you for the suggestion.
FYI, the orbiter forum can be found here.[/quote]

I found a lot of information, including the Falcon 9 scenarios on this forum. The programming part of it is just something I can't do, though.

JR

sgeos

Post by sgeos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:41 am

Give it a few years of effort and you ought to be workably competent. =)

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:46 am

[quote=""sgeos""]Give it a few years of effort and you ought to be workably competent. =)[/quote]

Me, programming and competency don't ever appear in the same sentence...

JR

sgeos

Post by sgeos » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:58 pm

If a simulated run is going to be done in Orbiter, it probably makes sense to first do it with out of the box vehicles, and then have custom add-ons made that reflect the prospective vehicles. If you have a links to any useful vehicle add-ons would be fantastic. Otherwise, I'll manage to track down the SpaceX vehicles, at the very least.

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:47 am

[quote=""sgeos""]If a simulated run is going to be done in Orbiter, it probably makes sense to first do it with out of the box vehicles, and then have custom add-ons made that reflect the prospective vehicles. If you have a links to any useful vehicle add-ons would be fantastic. Otherwise, I'll manage to track down the SpaceX vehicles, at the very least.[/quote]

If you go hereand key in the search term "lunar lander", there are a couple of choices ;)

I'll try to narrow them down a bit..

JR

sgeos

Post by sgeos » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:16 am

It sounds like you want a Moonshot mission put together for Orbiter. Are you looking for a mission that can be manually flown, or something with programatic autopilots? I don't think it would be too hard to sprinkle a few vehicles around for a quick and dirty mockup of a manual mission.

I want to know a few specifics about the Moonshot mission. What rocket will be launched? A vanilla Falcon 9, the heavy version, or something else? What location is it launching from? What path will the rocket take into orbit? When, where, and in what direction will the lander be ejected? What orbital maneuvers will the lander use to reach the moon? Where on the moon will it land? What vehicles will the lander carry? How many of each vehicle will the lander carry? What else will the lander be carrying? What Orbiter add-ons will be used for each vehicle? There is some sort of a cars and cargo add-on, so I think we can play with rovers on a simulated lunar surface, but I will need to know which rovers you want to use.

Also, does anyone know of a good orbital mechanics tutorial?

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:30 am

[quote=""sgeos""]It sounds like you want a Moonshot mission put together for Orbiter. Are you looking for a mission that can be manually flown, or something with programatic autopilots? I don't think it would be too hard to sprinkle a few vehicles around for a quick and dirty mockup of a manual mission.

I want to know a few specifics about the Moonshot mission. What rocket will be launched? A vanilla Falcon 9, the heavy version, or something else? What location is it launching from? What path will the rocket take into orbit? When, where, and in what direction will the lander be ejected? What orbital maneuvers will the lander use to reach the moon? Where on the moon will it land? What vehicles will the lander carry? How many of each vehicle will the lander carry? What else will the lander be carrying? What Orbiter add-ons will be used for each vehicle? There is some sort of a cars and cargo add-on, so I think we can play with rovers on a simulated lunar surface, but I will need to know which rovers you want to use.

Also, does anyone know of a good orbital mechanics tutorial?[/quote]

Orbiter is its own orbital mechanics tutor - you learn by plotting and flying the missions.

The answers to the above questions are found in the thread here and here and in the documentation I sent to you. The Falcon 9 currently only flies from Cape Canaveral, and it will fly a standard orbital insertion profile into LEO - I'd guess a 180km orbit is enough. That gives a 28.5 degree inclined orbit, IIRC. The vehicles (except the backhoe) are based on radio-controlled rock crawlers.

I'd like to have a programmed mission in Orbiter set up, then get permission to use screenshot sequences from it for a presentation about the mission.

JR

sgeos

Post by sgeos » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:51 pm

It looks like I forget about the orbiter the falcon 9 launches. An appropriate vehicle will need to be found for that. Do you want to play with simulated vehicles on a simulated luanr surface, or do you just want to simulate getting them to the surface?

If all you are going for are screenshots (and maybe motion video), a manual flight could be recorded, instead of using a programmed mission.