What *You* Can Do to Help

First private sector mission concepts, potential revenue streams, what various companies and organizations are doing along these lines, <b>closely</b> related topics

Moderator: smccann

joertexas

What *You* Can Do to Help

Post by joertexas » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Several people have asked the above question, so I'd like to provide a short list of things that we could use help with for the Moon Shot lunar exploration mission.

If you're not familiar with this project, the relevant threads can be found by searching for "Moon Shot" in this forum. I will be delighted to answer any and all questions about this project, as well.

The following items need to be addressed:

1. NASA has released high resolution topographic data from the LOLA instrument. It can be displayed with a program called LTVT, but manipulating the 5-meter resolution files calls for a computer with at least 4Gb of RAM. I'd like a topographic map at this resolution for the area around Hinshelwood crater centered on the landing site at 89.5N/330W.

2. Using the LTVT program, pictures from the NASA LROC narrow angle camera can be overlaid onto the topographic images. This also requires processing power that my computer doesn't have. Also, there are issues with getting the images to match the contours precisely. Once the available pics are aligned, they could be combined together in a composite image of the area.

3. The data, above, is available from NASA's LRO mission to make a 3D map of the landing area, but the specifics of what programs to use needs to be further researched. The goal is to produce a 3D flyby animation of the landing area and its surroundings.

4. Illustrations, animations and renderings of the landing area, equipment, and the mission operations would be very helpful.

Mark, Sam and others here can surely add to this list, and there are other needs mentioned here in the forums. Another way to help PERMANENT is to purchase the PERMANENT book - Sam can provide details on how to do that. :)

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:58 pm

Oh, and for you programmers and budding test pilots out there, I could use some help with a program called Orbiter.

JR

RaresH

Post by RaresH » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:21 pm

I have 4gigs on my machine that might do the job. I also have a copy of Orbiter and have flown a few missions on it.

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:11 pm

[quote=""RaresH""]I have 4gigs on my machine that might do the job. I also have a copy of Orbiter and have flown a few missions on it.[/quote]

Let me know if you have any questions about the links I sent you privately. I don't know a lot about it, but I was able to view and print the 10m resolution file.

As for Orbiter, I'd like to simulate our lander with it. I have the data for the lander, but I'm no programmer.

JR
Last edited by joertexas on Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

sgeos

Post by sgeos » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:37 am

Evidently Orbiter uses Lua for scripting. Lua is currently my favorite programming lanaguage, so that is pretty sweet. I'll need to download Orbiter and play around with it when I have time.

For what it's worth, everyone should learn Lua. =P It is a small but powerful language, and is an excellent choice for a first programming language. It is worth noting that Lua does have some quirks. The Lua for windows binary can be found here, and the online Lua 5.1 reference manual here.

Rhyshaelkan

Post by Rhyshaelkan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks for the reference links sgeos!
I am not a professional. I am a rational amateur who dreams about humans going into space.

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:35 pm

[quote=""sgeos""]Evidently Orbiter uses Lua for scripting. Lua is currently my favorite programming lanaguage, so that is pretty sweet. I'll need to download Orbiter and play around with it when I have time.
[/quote]

I'd like to model the Moon Shot mission with Orbiter. I do have the relevant figures for the spacecraft if you'd like :)

JR

sgeos

Post by sgeos » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:05 am

I got a chance to briefly try Orbiter out. It appears to be relatively complex. It will probably take me a while to get the hang of it. I have written automated level building scripts for some of my RPGs, but I was intimately familiar with the rules of the games and the scripts required a bit of babysitting.

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:48 am

[quote=""sgeos""]I got a chance to briefly try Orbiter out. It appears to be relatively complex. It will probably take me a while to get the hang of it. I have written automated level building scripts for some of my RPGs, but I was intimately familiar with the rules of the games and the scripts required a bit of babysitting.[/quote]

I was proud of myself for flying the Falcon 9 Heavy into orbit by hand. Programming the thing is just a bit over my head :D

JR

sgeos

Post by sgeos » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:47 pm

Given detailed enough instructions I should be able to program it. For now, I'll need to get through the manual. =). I'm also on a Mac and VMware Fusion doesn't seem to like Orbiter, but it seems usable.