Moon Shot - Lander

First private sector mission concepts, potential revenue streams, what various companies and organizations are doing along these lines, <b>closely</b> related topics

Moderator: smccann

joertexas

Moon Shot - Lander

Post by joertexas » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:35 pm

This section is for discussions involving the lander itself.

The landing area (87.5N, 30W) is actually on a hillside with a 20 to 30 degree slope. This, by the way, is one of the areas listed with nearly constant sunlight, and good LOS to Earth.

From the LRO image, this is probably the smoothest place to attempt a landing. In offline discussions with Rhy, the crater he's dubbed J1 (the one in the pic with the very bright rim), would make a great navigation reference point, but there are entirely too many small craters and rocks around J1 to land there.

The lander will have to have good autonomous functions, since there is a 3-second communications delay to earth. We could vet a landing site for the lander, but it would have to pick the exact spot and touch down on its own.

JR

Rhyshaelkan

Post by Rhyshaelkan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:31 pm

I was thinking a similar line of thought. As the lander gets closer to the surface we can see better the actual landing site. Then pin-point the actual arrival area. After designating such to the lander then the auto-pilot kicks in. Should not waste more than a couple seconds of fuel for this process.

With Joe comparing map scales, J1 seems to be 750m across. It could be the first crater in which we can take some samples. Not sure about how much heat is reflected off that bright rim though. Might be too warm, it might have perma-frost just under the surface. Perfect for the backhoe to do a little digging. :)
I am not a professional. I am a rational amateur who dreams about humans going into space.