Moon Shot - Maps and Photos Section

First private sector mission concepts, potential revenue streams, what various companies and organizations are doing along these lines, <b>closely</b> related topics

Moderator: smccann

joertexas

Moon Shot - Maps and Photos Section

Post by joertexas » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:45 am

Okay, the main Moon Shot thread is up to 90 posts. Until Mark gets a new discussion forum set up, I've taken the liberty of starting this thread to discuss maps, photos and simulated imagery of the proposed landing sites and operating areas for the first mission.

To kick this thread off, I've found more good stuff to aid our goal of producing an accurate 3D physical model of the landing site:

The LTVT program can display LRO DEMfiles *and* accurately plot images taken by LRO if the image filesare downloaded and converted to JPEG format first.

What I still need is to somehow put the closeup image files together in a mosaic, and then incorporate the topographic data.

The exact area I'd like to model is centered at 89.66N, 34.75W. This is the highest point in the immediate area, and it appears to be a good place to land.

JR

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:29 pm

I don't know how much they charge, but here is one company that produces models directly from data files like LRO generates:

http://www.stm-usa.com/

I'll contact them this week to see how much it would cost for a model.

JR

joertexas

Post by joertexas » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Followup: STM charges $500 per square foot for their models, plus a $500 setup charge. Looks like the physical models will have to wait until we actually begin looking for investors.

In the meantime, I think EDRAS's software or Global Mapperwill be able to supply 3D images from the LRO LOLA data.

JR