§ 6.1 Colonies in Orbit vs. Colonies on Planetary Surfaces
Colonies in orbital space are superior to colonies on other planets and moons, contrary to popular belief. "Planetary chauvenism" is the tendency for people to think that colonies in space would preferably be located on planetary surfaces like Mars or the Moon instead of in orbital space.
Consider the advantages of a habitat based in orbit:
- A habitat based in orbit can be wheel-shaped and rotated to produce artificial gravity by the centrifugal (centripetal) force. Choose the healthiest gravity you want. Earth-normal gravity may be needed for good health for long-term stays.
- A habitat based in orbit has access to sunshine 24 hours/day. No nights. Crops can grow faster by varying sun (but not sunlit 24 hours/day since many plants need nights, but opening/closing sunshades or mirrors for optimal sunlit periods), for more economical output per unit of habitat and time. Year-round growing season. Orbit-based habitats will be very green, glassy structures with some very exciting architectural and recreational features, including areas for human flight.
- Products and services for selling to Earth economies will be manufactured and assembled in orbital space, and operated there. So, the suburbs in space will be located where the demand is, namely, next to the factories, like it or not. (Why the manufacturing facilities will be located in orbital space instead of on the Moon is discussed elsewhere.)
There will eventually be settlements on other planets as well, as there will be all kinds of people with diverse preferences, but settlements on other planets and moons will be feasible only after we have settlements in orbital space and the economic support and physical infrastructure to support them.
PERMANENT.com > Space Colonies > Orbit vs. Planetary Surface
Reasons to do something yourself:
- It will help save life on our special planet -- be part of the solution in your generation.
- It will create and secure a better future for your children and grandchildren.
- It could be an interesting, cool, and a fun adventure for your life!
You can join us and volunteer to help out,
... or ...
If you're short on time, you can just donate:
The Permanent Space Development Foundation, Inc., is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
If you would like to make a quick donation to our humanistic cause,
then please click on one of the buttons below (which go to PayPal).
... or by cryptocurrency (which is NOT tax deductible), you can donate into any of these wallets:
... or ...
Suggest this website to other people and organizations.
To get updates on PERMANENT (occasional, not frequent), get on our mailing list.
For general or specific e-mail regarding PERMANENT, please use our Feedback page.
Leave information about yourself in our people, companies, and organizations database.
If you are interested in hiring our expertise, anywhere in the world, please contact us.
We have people in the USA and Thailand, and can travel or consult by internet.
You can call anytime, 24/7, at +66-8-1135-7977
Text by Mark Prado, Copyright © 1983-2018, All Rights Reserved.
Many website artistic design elements by Sam Fraser, Copyright © 1999-2018, All Rights Reserved.
Except where specifically stated otherwise,
Copyright © 1983-2018 by Mark Evan Prado, All Rights Reserved
P rojects to E mploy R esources of the M oon and
A steroids N ear E arth in the N ear T erm
please see our
For PCs, this righthand
side has a floating menu,
but if your tablet
or your PCs web browser
do not run
then you must
-- navigate --
using the Site Map above.